Crime Prevention Tips
Here are some recommendations from the Loveland Police Department to help reduce your crime risk.
- Do not allow bushes, shrubs, and trees to create blind spots or hiding places.
- Walkways, doors, and windows should be well lit.
- Have your house number visible from the road and well lit.
- All exterior doors should be solid core.
- All exterior door hinges should be security hinges installed with 3-inch screws.
- Install peepholes or video cameras at all exterior doors.
- Install auxiliary locks or place poles on all sliding windows and doors.
- Install auxiliary locks or pins on all windows.
- Install a deadbolt on the door from your garage to the interior of your house.
- Keep all doors and windows locked when not in use, even if you are home.
- If you are going to be away for an extended period, place a padlock in the track of your garage door.
- Never open the door unless you are sure who is on the other side.
- Bring all toys, tools, and other items inside overnight.
- Remove all valuables, including your garage door opener, from your car if it is left outside overnight.
- Never “check in” or post pictures from vacation while you are away on social media sites.
- Do not posted identifying information (social security number, birth date, etc) on the internet, including social media sites.
- Use a video camera or camera to record all valuables in your home.
- Have a " 9pm Routine." Before going to bed remove valuables, firearms, key fobs, and garage door openers from your car and lock all your exterior doors and windows, including closing the garage door. Finally, turn on your exterior lights.
Always Remember the Four "D’s" of Crime Prevention
Deter – Lighting, trimmed bushes, alarm-monitoring signs, video cameras and other measures all deter criminals.
Delay – Properly working locks, 3-inch screws, glass block windows, and other similar measures all delay burglars and thieves.
Deny – Locking valuable items and papers in a safe, not leaving them in a car parked outside, and similar techniques deny items to a thief.
Detect – Dogs, alarms, and good neighbors all help detect thieves and burglars before they strike.